The Great Seal of the Confederacy, or "Deo Vindice" seal was smuggled through the Union blockade, along with its pressing equipment, during the war. It proudly displays the Confederate motto of Deo Vindice, which is Latin for "God will Vindicate." In keeping with the Southerners belief that their struggle was continuing the beliefs of America's founding fathers, the seal displays a mounted General George Washington in the center of the seal.
Flags of the Confederacy
Tracing its origin to the early 1800's during a border dispute with Spain, the Bonnie Blue Flag was for years used as a symbol of Southern independence. It served as the unofficial flag of the Confederacy until it was replaced by the Stars and Bars.
The First Official Flag of the Confederacy. Although less well known than the "Confederate Battle Flags", the Stars and Bars was used as the official flag of the Confederacy from March 1861 to May of 1863. The pattern and colors of this flag did not distinguish it sharply from the Stars and Stripes of the Union. Consequently, considerable confusion was caused on the battlefield.
The seven stars represent the original Confederate States;
The Second National Flag of the
Also called the Jackson Flag, because the 1st one was drapped over Jackson's
coffin & because his portrait appeared with this flag on bonds & currency in
1864 & 1865.
THE NATIONAL FLAG established by Congress, 1 May 1863, is as follows:
"The Congress of the Confederate States of America do enact, That the Flag of the Confederate States shall be as follows: The field to be white, the length double the width of the flag, with the union (now used as the Battle Flag) to be a square of two-thirds the width of the flag, having the ground red; thereon a broad saltier of blue, bordered with white, and emblazoned with white mullets or five pointed stars, corresponding in number to that of the Confederate States."
The Third National Flag of the Confederacy
The final Confederate flag, the Third National Flag was sometimes referred to as the "Blood-stained Banner". It was adopted in March of 1865 after reports that the Second National Flag had been mistaken on the field of battle for a flag of truce.
The Battle Flag Of The Of The Confederacy
This little known flag was used during the first half of the war. Naval Jacks are used by Naval vessels while in port.
This elongated battle flag was used as a naval jack during the second half of the war. It was adopted in 1948 as the symbol of Southern Democrats, the so-called "Dixiecrats."
Army of Northern Virginia Battle flags
After several incidents of battlefield confusion at Manassas, the staffs of Generals Joseph Johnston and Pierre Beauregard submitted designs for a distinctive banner to fly over the Confederate Army in Northern Virginia to set it distinctly apart from the U.S. Stars and Stripes. The design submitted by General Beauregard's staff was selected as the official banner, due mainly to its simpler design. Conceived on the field of battle for the noblest of reasons, to save the lives of their comrades, the Confederate Battle Flag flew proudly over every battlefield for the next four years, until being furled finally at Appomatox in April 1865.
This Stars and Bars variant, sometimes called the Ark and the Covenant, marked the location of the headquarters camp of General Robert E. Lee.
This site last updated 01/16/2011 Col. Thomas Hardeman, Jr. UDC Chapter 2170 Macon, Ga.
Site Created 8/06/2003